Wednesday, January 1, 2014

What's Ahead in 2014

Happy New Year!!!

Although I'm getting tired of hearing "It's hard to believe it's 2014 already," it does bear repeating.  2013 dragged in some ways, but flew by in others.  Time seems to go really slow when I'm writing, but it seems to go at lightning speed when it comes down to meeting deadlines.  I got five short stories written and published in 2013, but it falls short of the goals I'd set.  I'd hoped to write more stories, including ones of longer lengths.  But distractions, both unavoidable and self-imposed, kept me from being as productive as I would have liked.

For the upcoming year, I think I'll try a different strategy.  Instead of setting production goals in terms of finishing stories, I think I'll focus on word count.  Some writers set out to write a million words a year, but I think I'll be setting myself up for failure if I attempt even half that much.  For me, 20,000 words a month is more realistic, yet still ambitious since I've done practically next to nothing in terms of writing for the last couple of weeks.  I do want to write longer works, including a novel, and I will do my best to fulfill that aim this year.  But for right now, I'm going to concentrate on productivity and actually writing the story than worrying about how long the story will be.

1 comment: